Thursday, December 4, 2014

First-Generation College Applicant Opens Up about the Grueling Process

2:00 PM Posted by Breakthrough Silicon Valley Blogger No comments

Applying to college can be overwhelming for any student. But it’s especially intimidating for an applicant who is the first in his or her family to attend a four-year university. Decisions about where and how to apply, and college affordability issues pose hurdles for first-generation college students. At Breakthrough Silicon Valley, we make the college application process less daunting for students.

We recently sat down with Breakthrough senior, Heriberto Alcantar, who shared his experience of being the first in his family to apply to college.

Breakthrough Silicon Valley: How long have you been preparing to apply to college?

Heriberto Alcantar: Now that I’m about to submit my applications, I realize I’ve been preparing for this moment since middle school. The application check list is long. Colleges look at all of the classes that you took; the grades in those classes; what you did after-school, on the weekends and in the summer; your ACT scores; letters from teachers, coaches, advisors. All of that does not come together in just one year. By the time some kids think about college, it is too late. They might not have taken two years of a lab science or two years of a foreign language. Luckily, since I was eleven, Breakthrough was making sure that I was in the right classes, monitoring my grades, matching me with tutors when my grades dipped, organizing the ACT Prep and Personal Writing Sessions and helping me figure out next steps – like which colleges to apply to!

BSV: It is great to hear that we kept our end of the bargain! So, which schools are you applying to?

HA: I’m applying to Cal Poly Pomona, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, CSU East Bay, CSU Monterey Bay, Florida Institute of Technology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, San Jose State University, Santa Clara University, UC Berkeley, UC Merced, UC Riverside and UCLA.

BSV: That is some list! How did you decide on those colleges?

HA: It has been a long process that started the first time Breakthrough took us on a Career Exploration Field Trip to a local tech company where I met a computer engineer. Of course, I heard of computer engineers but, before that trip, I had never met one. The work he was doing was fascinating to me. Since then, I wanted to be a computer engineer. I started my college search by looking at schools with engineering programs. Then, I started to consider fit. Last spring, Breakthrough took us on a college tour of schools in Southern California. Before that trip, I was convinced that I wanted a small school. I’m shy and didn’t think I would fit in at a big school. But, on the trip, we visited one small school and it felt too small. There weren’t a lot of people walking around and nobody seemed to be hanging out on the quad or in the library. I realized that I needed a school with more life because even though I’m shy, I need people around me and opportunities to meet new people. I probably would not be applying to UCLA if I did not visit the campus.

BSV: Has cost been a concern when applying to and deciding where to attend college?

HA: Definitely! I’m still learning what type of financial aid is out there. I am fearful that my grades are not high enough for merit based aid and scholarships. At least I’m not alone in figuring all of this out.  We started learning about saving and budgeting for college and the difference between loans, grants and scholarships at Breakthrough last year. This year, they will walk us through FAFSA and go over the financial aid packages and all of that with me and my family.

BSV: Besides money, what has been the most stressful part of the college application process so far?

HA: Writing personal statements is stressful. A lot of effort is required to write a strong statement. The first time I saw the prompts, I didn’t know how to start. I felt like I had to unpack my life and fit it into 1000 words. I reflected on pieces of my life that most people try to ignore. It is scary to then share that with someone I do not know.

BSV: You have devoted countless hours of time to preparing and applying to college. What motivates you to do all of that?

HA: Biggest motivator: my parents. My mom and dad were unable to finish high school and I have seen how they have struggled to raise me and my two sisters. I want to lift the burdens that my parents have shouldered alone all of these years. My hope is that a college degree can lead me and my family towards stability, towards a life without fear of the future. By being the first in my family to go to college, I will pave the way for my younger sisters. More than an example, I want to be a resource. In the same way that I go to Breakthrough with questions, I want my sisters to feel confident coming to me about anything - APs, entrance exams, fee waivers, loans, and whatever else we should know when applying to college!

BSV: Any crucial advice for fellow first-gen students applying to college?

HA: The most important advice that I can share is to never give up on a dream. Over the years, I have heard, “college may not be the best option for you,” “you will not make it to college,” and “you are not college material.” But, for all of those that have tried to shut me down, there have been even more that have raised me up. Those are the people that I have kept in my corner. Those are people that are going to be with me when I walk across the stage at college graduation. 


If you are interested in learning more about how Breakthrough Silicon Valley assists high school students through the college application process, and becoming a part of our life-changing programs, visit our website today! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment