Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Staff Spotlight: David Tarula

3:17 PM Posted by Breakthrough Silicon Valley Blogger No comments





College wasn’t a part of my vocabulary growing up. In my family, getting a job was valued over going to college.” explains David Tarula, Breakthrough Silicon Valley Middle School Program Coordinator. In middle school, he was often teased by friends and family for earning good grades. David felt a constant pressure to be like his friends, who skipped class and got into fights. His desire to hold onto his childhood friendships led him to quickly disengage with school. His love of learning was overpowered by the social pressures he felt.

Elementary school picture of David.

The summer before 10th grade, David moved to a new city and with that he was presented with a clean slate. David took that opportunity to make better choices both academically and socially. For the first time in his life, he thoughtfully chose who he surrounded himself with. As he invested more and more time on academics, he faced increased resistance from his parents, who needed his help in supporting the family financially. David compromised with his parents by taking on part time jobs after school.

Senior year came quickly. David submitted many college applications and scholarships but didn’t believe he would actually attend college. One day in Civics class, his teacher asked David where he was going to college. David replied that he was not planning on going to college. The teacher did not accept that answer. He responded, “College is not an option. I want to know where you are going.” That was the turning point in David’s life. 

David with his former Math Class.
After the last minute decision to go to college, David enrolled at CSU Bakersfield with scholarships and FAFSA helping him pay tuition. Throughout his four years at CSU Bakersfield, David managed to juggle a full time job along with attending school full-time and taking on leadership roles in on-campus organizations. His path to and through college was far from easy but it is a path that many students tread.

His experience as a student inspired him to pursue a career in education. Just like his Civics teachers, he wants to ensure that academically motivated students, like those he works with in Breakthrough, achieve their collegiate and career dreams. 

Get to know David in this quick Q&A:

How did you first learn about Breakthrough?
I first learned about Breakthrough from my college advisor, who told me about the Teaching Fellowship. I was a Breakthrough Teacher in the summer of 2009!

 David assisting a student during the After-School Math Program.
What would you be doing if you weren't at your current job?
If I wasn’t the Middle School Program Coordinator, I’d still be in the classroom teaching math!

What is one word you would use to describe yourself as a child?
Dreamer

What is the nerdiest thing you do in your spare time?
Every moment of my life is nerdy. If I had to pick one, I would say arguing about time travel with my friends. 

What's a fear your proud to have overcome? 
The fear that I was proud to overcome was my fear of heights. I went full force when I faced it and jumped out of a plane. I’ve jumped out of a plane three times total. Anyone willing to go with me for a fourth time?

What did you want to be growing up?
David with Breakthrough colleague, Tina Brinceño 
Originally, I wanted to be a Power Ranger. The Blue Power Ranger to be exact. Since I didn't know Zordon or Alpha 5, I went to college thinking I wanted to be a lawyer but changed my mind when I was a Breakthrough Teaching Fellow. 

Have you ever met anybody famous? Where? When? 
I’ve met two famous people! I met Walter Emanuel Jones, who played Zach Taylor (aka the Black Power Ranger) in the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers". I was eight and geeked out. I also met Erik Estrada from the show "Chips." They were both in line at a movie theater in Burbank, CA.

What would a perfect day look like for you?
I’d be at the beach all day. I would start with a 5k, spend most of the day lounging around reading a book or doing math problems, and finish with dinner at a local restaurant that has live music.

When playing two truths and a lie, what are your two truths and a lie?
My two truths are usually: I live in Lamont, CA and I fostered a student who is now in the Army. I need to change that because I no longer live in Lamont! My lie is that I own a dog. I want a dog, but don’t own one.
Name: Doodle | Artist: David Tarula

How often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like? 
I doodle when I’m working on a project and I’m stuck. They are usually faces or geometric figures.


 

To learn more about David and other members of our staff, please visit our website!









0 comments:

Post a Comment